“Do the hardest things first.” – Dr. Chris Friesen
Today’s episode is part 2 of our conversation with Dr. Chris Friesen. If you haven't already, please take a listen first to part one of this interview here.
Dr. Friesen is a psychologist who has always been fascinated by what makes people successful. He is a licensed clinical, forensic, and neuro-psychologist whose clients span a TON of different backgrounds including:
- Professional, national, Olympic, and up-and-coming elite athletes
- High-achieving professionals
- and writers
His work dives in at the deep neuroscience level to enable these individuals to achieve their personal and professional potential.
He is currently director of Friesen Sport & Performance Psychology and a contributor to Success.com.
He is also the author of his own book: Achieve: Find Out Who You Are, What You Really Want, and How To Make It Happen.
I mean, wow! Our conversation today dives into Chris’ wealth of knowledge, and is one that you won’t want to miss!
Key insights from today's conversation:
Topics we Discussed:
- Leverage slow-wave (theta and alpha) brain states in the evenings for improved creativity and access to memory
- Be sure to take time each day to let your brain rest and recover. This practice can also be used as a personal reward for a full day of deliberate work and focus
- Improve your sleep by blocking blue light to promote melatonin production before bed
- How to promote brain health and fitness level
- eat healthy and “clean” foods
- anti-inflammatory foods (ginger, turmeric, etc.)
- reduce stressors on your brain
- lifestyle changes
- heart rate variability training
- eat healthy and “clean” foods
- Boost productivity by constantly evaluating priorities (what's most important). Chris re-evaluates his to-do items with his long-term needs and goals. This also helps to keep you from derailing from what's most important
- Boost motivation with visualization. Visualize the future that you're working toward and achieving the outcomes you will achieve.
- Protect yourself from temptations that aren't bringing you closer to your goals using the “WOOP” (Wish, Outcome, Obstacles, Plan) concept
- Chris' book: ACHIEVE: Find Out Who You Are, What You Really Want, And How To Make It Happen by Chris Friesen
- Know yourself and your values → What are your interests and passions
- THEN start setting goals & taking action
- How Chris is making himself better in 2018 – putting a priority on his health
- Intermittent fasting
- High-intensity interval training
Bits of knowledge borrowed from others:
- “Everyone has a plan until they're punched in the mouth”
How to contact Chris:
- ACHIEVE: Find Out Who You Are, What You Really Want, And How To Make It Happen by Chris Friesen
Please note that this episode is not a medical diagnosis nor professional health advice. Please consult with your doctor or other qualified healthcare professional before using any product or strategy discussed within this episode or website. Always consult your physician before beginning any exercise program. This general information is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your healthcare professional. Consult with your healthcare professional to design an appropriate exercise prescription. If you experience any pain or difficulty with these exercises, stop and consult your healthcare provider.