In today’s episode, I have an engaging conversation with a designer, successful entrepreneur, and negotiation consultant, Ted Leonhardt. Our conversation focuses specifically on the negotiation process.
We discuss how to initiate the conversation, items to prepare ahead of time, how to combat the natural anxious feeling that we all encounter, common mistakes to avoid, and how to judge when you might be pushing too hard.
Today we discuss:
- Becoming more comfortable with negotiations and combatting anxiety
- Everyone, no matter their experience still gets anxious ahead of, and during negotiations
- What to prepare ahead of negotiations
- Pre-negotiation best practices to prepare yourself mentally
- Timing is key for scheduling the conversation
- The key to negotiating effectively is to put yourself in the shoes of your fellow negotiator and to appeal to their needs and values.
- How to know if you're pushing too hard in a negotiation
- Research ahead of time to understand proper questions that you should ask in the interview- to ensure it's a good fit for you, and to impress them with the preparation you've done
- How to close a negotiation
- Always negotiate in person – not email, not over the phone. You need to be able to read your co-negotiator
Connect further with Ted: